Two dogs die from heat exposure in vehicles
Most pet owners have heard the warning not to leave their dog in a hot car, but a Saskatoon veterinarian is warning dog owners to be careful with air-conditioned cars as well.
Two dogs in Saskatoon have died this summer from hyperthermia, extreme overheating where the dog's body temperature gets too high, but both of those dogs were in cars with the air conditioning on.
"Even though the air conditioning was on, the coolness did not reach all the way to the back," said Dr. Altina Wickstrom, owner of Acadia Veterinary Clinic in Saskatoon.
She said if you are planning on traveling with your dog, make sure you put yourself in the dog's place.
"Before you go, turn on the car's air conditioning and get into the back and see how hot it is."
Wickstrom also stresses pet owners planning long trips with their dog should not transport the animal in a plastic crate.
She knows of a little puppy from Saskatoon who almost died because of it.
"(The owners) called me on emergency thinking that their dog had been poisoned because they were in the car with the dog with the air conditioning on," she said.
That puppy was in a plastic crate, which heat's up with the dog's body temperature.
Instead, she suggested using a wire crate which allows better air flow.
Other tips she had for dog owners this summer include rolling down the windows and throwing a couple ice packs in the back of the car with your dog.
Follow on Twitter: @Trelle_B