Prince Albert couple watches barbecue explode
An incident in Prince Albert Sunday night
may have a few people checking their own barbecues before tossing the burgers
Damage is estimated at $20,000 after a barbecue exploded on Woodman Crescent.
Jim Glabus recalls that he had only just turned on his barbecue to warm it up. He had gone back into the house for only a few minutes.
"I had come out with the meat and I was going to throw it on the barbecue and I could see the barbecue was on fire. My first instinct was to go shut the propane off. Just as I started to take a step off the landing, the hose to the barbecue tank must have melted and started spewing propane and fire," said Glabus.
Glabus immediately went back inside the house. Moments later, the barbecue exploded, blowing out the couples' bedroom window. Jim and his wife quickly ran outside.
"There was just so much fire. It even burnt the grass ten feet away from the house. You didn’t even have time to grab your keys or nothing, just get out," said Glabus.
Glabus was able to duck back in a short time later to grab the keys so he could move the vehicles. He then called the fire department using his cell phone.
The Fire Department is still investigating what caused the barbecue to explode, although luckily the propane tanks were not involved. The incident does raise awareness about barbecue safety.
"Check your propane cylinder and make sure it's not old. Also make sure the valve stems are always in good condition,' said Fire Prevention Officer Quentin Rowland
Rowland said for more safety tips and barbecue guidelines, people can check the fire department website.