The natural gas pipeline on Preston Avenue South is repaired, but the work to figure out why it was ripped open is just beginning.
One of the largest natural gas lines in Saskatoon was hit Thursday afternoon by a contractor doing sewer repair work.
Eight apartment buildings and a grocery store were evacuated while the line was repaired.
A 73-year-old woman is dead after a house fire in Saskatoon.
Smoke and flames were pouring out of the back of a home on the 900 block of 8th Street East at about 9:15 pm on Dec. 12.
Three engines and an aerial unit responded to the call and firefighters quickly performed a search of the home.
During that search, crews found the woman inside the home. Firefighters pulled her out and then paramedics took her to Royal University Hospital in serious condition.
Jurors at a Saskatoon coroner's inquest into the death of Stanley Robillard have made 13 recommendations to prevent similar deaths in the future.
After deliberations Thursday night, they also determined that Robillard, a 46-year-old heavy equipment operator from the Muskoday First Nation, died on July 16, 2010 from blunt force trauma to the back of his head with alcohol as a contributing factor because it caused the injury.
Saskatoon police officers waiting to get into the new headquarters will have to wait until February to move in, with operations expected to be in full swing by the spring.
“There’s a silver-lining to the delay,” Police Chief Clive Weighill said.
“We’ll be able to turn around $300,000 back to the city at the end of the year because we didn’t need to take ownership of the building. So we saved those operating costs.”
Station 20 West received a huge gift from the Saskatchewan Union of Nurses (SUN) this week.
Residents are back home after some apartments and businesses in and around Preston Avenue South and 8th Street were evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a natural gas line hit.
At least four two-storey apartment buildings west of the gas leak were evacuated. City buses were brought in to keep people without a place to go warm.
"A contractor who was doing some sewer repair work has struck and ruptured a fairly major natural gas pipeline," Dave Burdeniuk with SaskEnergy said.
The 12-inch line was hit around 2:30 p.m.
Three University of Saskatchewan engineering students have invented a video game for kids with cystic fibrosis.
The game and small device required to play the game were created by Tyler Spink, Thomas Bazin and Dalton Mainil as part of a school assignment.
"Every fourth year electrical engineer has to do a design project and the College of Engineering actually takes suggestions from industry and from people in the city as to what we should be designing," Mainil explained.
An increasing number of people in Saskatchewan are buying local this holiday season.
SaskMade is one of the retailers that is seeing an upswing in business because of it.
“I think it is quite a big trend and we were kind of a little bit slower on the uptake but it has definitely been doing really well over the last three years,” Amanda Wilkins, retail specialist and business development for SaskMade, said.
Most of us know that 9-1-1 is strictly for emergencies.
But, according to Kelsie Fraser with the Saskatoon Police Service, someone obviously didn't get the message on Wednesday.
"Yesterday we received a number of calls that weren't emergent in nature and turned out to be an individual prank calling," she said.
Fraser said police were dispatched to try and find the man making the calls, but came up empty-handed.
"It's our understanding that he was using a pre-paid cellphone which makes it very difficult to locate," she said.
A man police allege was operating dial-a-dope operation in Saskatoon has been charged after a two-week long investigation.
Wednesday, a 23-year-old male was arrested after members of the Drug Enforcement Street Team observed him making several drug deals. He was found with cash and two ounces of cocaine in his possession. Officers also seized his vehicle as a proceed of crime.