VANCOUVER - Two men convicted of first-degree murder in a mass execution that left six dead are suing the British Columbia government for alleged abuses they suffered while awaiting trial.
Cody Haevischer and Matthew Johnston say they were held in solitary confinement without adequate cause for 14 months after their arrests in April 2009.
OTTAWA - Federal political parties may be quarrelling over how best to expand the Canada Pension Plan, but they seem to agree on one thing: Canadians should be saving more for retirement.
But is that a universally accepted truth?
Researchers are divided, it seems. Some reports suggest most people will actually be just fine when they enter their golden years. Other studies paint a desperate picture of a decidedly downmarket lifestyle.
WINNIPEG - The Manitoba government will continue to use hotel rooms as emergency placements for kids in the child welfare system beyond a promised June 1 deadline.
The government is on track to virtually eliminate hotel use within Winnipeg by the start of next month, Family Services Minister Kerri Irvin-Ross said Thursday. But in some rural and northern areas it is a different story.
CALGARY - Alberta Premier Rachel Notley says the public shouldn't rush to judge allegations that documents have been illegally shredded since the Progressive Conservatives were defeated earlier this month.
The privacy commissioner and Alberta's public interest commissioner are both investigating.
Opposition parties were demanding action after bags and bags of shredded documents were seen being hauled away from the legislature after the PCs lost their 44-year hold on power in the May 5 election.
OTTAWA - As calmly as Michael Zehaf Bibeau laid out the reasons for his fateful attack on Parliament Hill last October, he exhorted others to carry out similar attacks, say sources familiar with the unreleased portion of his final video manifesto.
The missing video segments also include Zehaf Bibeau mentioning a number of Middle Eastern names, none of which appear to be linked to the Oct. 22 shooting rampage, The Canadian Press has learned.
QUEBEC CITY, Que. - Parti Quebecois Leader Pierre Karl Peladeau's sovereigntist fervour is upsetting National Hockey League owners and hurting Quebec City's chances of getting a team back, a prominent politician said Thursday.
Peladeau is the controlling shareholder of Quebecor Inc., (TSX:QBR.B), which has for years been trying to bring back the NHL to the provincial capital.
EDMONTON - Cooler weather was helping crews in Alberta battle wildfires Thursday as the province shifted more effort to protecting oilsands projects in the northeast.
Scott Long, a government spokesman, said fireguards built to shield facilities operated by Cenovus Energy and Canadian Natural Resources were holding.
Long said the fire in the Cold Lake region had grown to 200-square kilometres in size, with flames about 40 kilometres north of the community.
VANCOUVER - Teck Resources Ltd. (TSX:TCK.A, TSX:TCK.B) is temporarily shutting down its six Canadian steelmaking coal mines for three weeks due to weak market conditions.
The company said Thursday that the suspensions at its British Columbia and Alberta mines will be staggered over the summer months.
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred is open to Montreal hosting three or four regular-season games in 2016, the city's mayor said Thursday after a 45-minute meeting he described as "extremely positive."
The goal of the encounter was to show Manfred that Montreal is "serious about baseball," said Denis Coderre, who explained the city's strategy toward acquiring a team either through expansion or the relocation of an existing franchise.
A Canadian man accused in the drowning of a four-year-old boy in St. Lucia will have to face trial in the island country.
A friend of Sahab Jamshidi who is with him in St. Lucia says the Hamilton man's bid to have the charge dismissed was rejected by the judge this afternoon.
Jamshidi is charged with causing death by gross negligence or recklessness in the drowning of Terrel Joshua Elibox, who drowned in the sea on Feb. 22.
The Royal St. Lucia Police Force says the charge carries a possible sentence of life in prison.